This article will try the following:
How do I activate the "Compare" function? and How do I can get the most out?
During March 2008 Google has launched a new feature in Google Analytics: Benchmarking Comparative or (in English versions). This function, which is still in beta, allows us to compare our statistics with those of companies operating in similar markets, comparing data anonymously.
We can compare data are as follows:
- Our visits and our page views, compared to other pages in our industry and with similar sizes.
- Time that visitors stay on our website, compared to staying in other pages similar to ours and as bounce rate.
- The number of new visits that are able to attract, compared to those who reach other sites.
How active function Comparison:
First you have to tell Google Analytics you want to share your data anonymously. This will entitle you to gain access to comparative data. To activate the "data sharing" You must enter your Google Analytics, and before going to see the report on the same screen (in the "Settings of Google Analytics") search a link called "Edit Account and configuration data sharing "(it is in the middle top) and enters.
Once inside, select the "Share my Google Analytics data" and then activate "Anonymously with Google products and the benchmarking service".
It is done. Within minutes the new service will be activated ...
You will see the results if you enter "View Reports" (the control panel that normally you access to see your stats) and you click on "Users" in the left menu. You will see that on the menu under "Users" will appear a new feature: "Comparatives (beta)". Click on this link to access comparative. You will see the data that Google Analytics compares you as graphic gray overlay to your data.
But your job is not finished ...
How do I can get the most out?
Do not settle Google Analytics data gives you compared with other sites of a similar size to yours. Interested comparison is with the companies of the same sector.
Let's see how you indicate the topic of your website.
You must do the following:
On this same page (the "Benchmarking (Beta)"), look for a link called "Open category list" (in the upper central area) and click on it. Once inside select your sector and displays the list to select a subsector and if possible, a hierarchy. In our case, for example, it would be to select:
Business -> Advertising & Marketing -> Marketing Services
You will see that when you choose your category, the graph of comparative data more responsive to your graph.
Now you can start analyzing your data against which to offer.
You should get the following:
- graphs of page views and your users should follow the same pattern as those of the comparative. If not, something is happening and you find out.
- El ratio de páginas vistas por usuario debería ser el mismo (o superior). Si no lo es, márcate como objetivo conseguir el mismo ratio y emprende acciones para que así sea. Por ejemplo: mejorar la usabilidad de tu site, incluir textos que persuadan al usuario para que navegue más, incluye contenido interesante que pueda complementar la información que el usuario busca en tu página, etc.
- El porcentaje de rebote o número ratio de usuarios que abandonan tu site debería ser igual o menor que el de la comparativa. Si no lo es, algo falla: o bien estás atrayendo usuarios a tu página web que no son tu target (tu público objetivo) y por eso se van sin navegar, o algo pasa con la gente que llega a tu web. Tener este ratio elevado a veces puede ser indicativo de fraude en las campañas de marketing (la gente entra pero no navega… hay empresas que se dedican a pagar a falsos usuarios para que hagan esto y ellos se enriquezcan con los anuncios que muestran en su página web). Analiza este ratio por palabra clave, por campaña y por cualquier tipo de segmento que puedas ver desde Google Analytics, y descubre por qué está por encima de la media.
- The average time on your site should be equal to or higher than the comparative. If it is not, again you need to review the content, usability and persuasion of texts.
- The number of new visits should also be equal or higher. If it is not, something happens on your site: either no action is marketing to attract new users, or you need to analyze everything that relates to attracting new users and traffic sources to see what's wrong.
My recommendation is to do comparative tracking for a while and go performing corrective actions so that your data are equal or superior to it.
Google has published a complete Questions and Answers about this service.
You can read it by clicking here: Questions and answers about Google Analytics and Comparative Function
Specialist Digital Marketing Strategy and Digitization Process. I help businesses and territories to develop thanks to the use of Internet in their business strategies.
Impart conferences, training and consulting for over 20 years. Program Director of the Degree of Entrepreneurship Digital (Digital Business) La Salle - URL.
My digital DNA comes from Intercom (creators of Infojobs, Softonic, eMagister, Solostocks, among other companies). I created my first website in 1994 and started my first online business in 1998.
I am at your disposal for whatever you need. Let's talk.