This week I give again the lecture on Artificial Intelligence and non-technical professions. It is a talk that universities hire me to publicize the professional opportunities related to Artificial Intelligence among students of non-technical careers. Students of Philosophy, Economics, Business Administration, Tourism, etc. usually attend.
The truth is that artificial intelligence has many applications and therefore offers many opportunities to technical profiles, but also to non-technical profiles. These are some of the main fields in which we interact with artificial intelligences on a daily basis, many times without being really aware of it:
1. Facial recognition
A large number of new mobile phones are opened by recognizing our face. So every morning, without being aware of them, we submit our facial physiognomy to the scrutiny of an AI that decides whether or not we are who we think we are. Facial recognition is used by Facebook to detect photos of us in which we are not tagged, it is used by airport personnel and police forces to detect
2. Artificial Intelligence and natural language processing
Every day we use the voice devices of our mobile phone, our Google Home or our Alexa. Artificial intelligence is applied both in predicting what we want to say exactly, as in understanding the words themselves and executing the orders. Also in SEO we use our knowledge in AI to optimize the positioning in Google.
3. Artificial Intelligence and vehicle navigation
When we open our browser (be it Google Maps, Waze, or whatever) and mark our destination, an artificial intelligence calculates how long it will take to get there and takes into account the traffic, construction work, and any other incident. Also the autopilots work with this type of Artificial Intelligence, to which the information from sensors, cameras and radars is added. Every time you get on a plane, 90% of the flight time is done by artificial intelligence.
4. Machine Learning or machine learning
El Machine Learning es la rama de la ciencia que busca el desarrollo de técnicas que permiten a los ordenadores aprender por sí mismos. Cuando haces una foto con la cámara de tu móvil, una inteligencia artificial la retoca automáticamente a partir de la imagen que consigue con las varias cámaras que posee tu dispositivo a la vez que utiliza la información sobre cómo debería ser esa foto, a partir de miles de modelos de imágenes de las que ha aprendido cómo mostrar lo que has fotografiado. También cuando miras Netflix y te recomienda nuevas series y películas que seguramente te gustarán, el machine learning está por medio haciendo que Netflix cada vez te conozca mejor pueda hacerte mejores recomendaciones.
5. Artificial life
These days, in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, many of the predictions of infection and contagion rates are made with calculations created from simulations of populations created in artificial environments that show qualities typical of living beings.
6. Expert systems
AIs assist in medical diagnoses and also in your Google Analytics. The term expert system refers to an information system that is based on knowledge of a highly complex and very specific application area. It serves as a consultant and expert assistant for the users of its interface.
Hay muchos otros campos, pero estos que comento son los que me sirven para hacia media charla, introducir las nuevas profesiones o al menos las profesiones que no veo peligrar en un futuro próximo:
- Como el mundo está cambiando y cada vez más IA toman el control de muchas profesiones, hay y habrá una gran necesidad de reconvertir a los profesionales. Así que la formación de adultos es un buen campo en el que especializarse.
- Si todo va ha estar lleno de robots, alguien tendrá que educarlos. Has probado alguna vez de educar a un chatbot… es una tarea complicada, pero alguien debe hacerlo… y todos vamos a tener asistentes robot en nuestras páginas web y sistemas de mensajería.
- Many business processes are going to be digitized and automated ... but someone will need to understand the processes and create them properly. Project Management experts have the future assured by deriving part of their knowledge towards processes instead of just doing projects.
- The main distribution tool is going to be e-commerce… but there are high-value, high-priced products that must be sold personally. The field of sales is still a good career path.
- The services to people performed by humans and not by machines are going to be increasingly valued. Everything that involves contact between people has a good way out.
- The creative professions are not threatened either. Artificial intelligence can help us in the design of a marketing campaign both for the predictive part and for the data analysis, but creativity and originality will have to be contributed by a human.
- Since algorithms are the ones who make most of the decisions, each company will need an ethics committee to determine the decision trees of its AI from the point of view of ethics and morals. A good specialization for Philosophy students.
In general, although according to McKinsey artificial intelligences will affect between 400 and 800 million jobs by 2030 and according to this same source 30% of jobs will be directly replaced by AIs, both people with technical profiles and those who have More literary profiles have good job prospects if they take these changes into account, from now on ... so I don't see it as a threat but as an opportunity.
If you want to know more about the MacKinsey report, go to Xataca they comment and they summarize it in a very understanding way.
If you want to know more about Netflix and AII recommend this article in which the author reviews all the applications.
¿Cuál es tu opinión al respecto?
¿Qué problemas o implicaciones morales ves en el despliegue de la inteligencia artificial?
We talk to each other
Specialist Digital Marketing Strategy and Digitization Process. I help businesses and territories to develop thanks to the use of Internet in their business strategies.
Impart conferences, training and consulting for over 20 years. Program Director of the Degree of Entrepreneurship Digital (Digital Business) La Salle - URL.
My digital DNA comes from Intercom (creators of Infojobs, Softonic, eMagister, Solostocks, among other companies). I created my first website in 1994 and started my first online business in 1998.
I am at your disposal for whatever you need. Let's talk.