Use https instead of http in your website is becoming a necessity, not only to protect your users, but because improving the SEO of your website. Surely you had planned to do ... but you have not dared even because you know it's complicated. Well, here's this little guide to help you switch from http to https.
(If you want to know before what is https, you will find more information here: what is and what is https.)
Instructions to spend a website http to https
Let's see how we should migrate from http to https for everything to go quickly and without incident:
- You need to activate the SSL certificate that you provide your hosting. To do this, enter the control panel web hosting you want to make safer and look for the section "Security". There you should find a sub section called "SSL Certificates" next to the padlock icon. Section and enters that activates the certificate. Usually a free service and is done in one click. If your hosting does not offer this service, you can find it here Let’s Encrypt ... but things will not be so easy.
- Now you need to tell your web use the certificate that you just activated. If the web is created with WordPress this is really simple. You download the free plugin "Really Simple SSL" install it and activate giving the 'on' button. There, everything OK. If your site is created with another content manager, looking for the equivalent plugin. If your site is handmade, you must change the .htaccess.
- The plugin also ensures that when someone enters an old indexed without the https URL or some old link, go to the right page rather than one with 404 error.
- At this point, the web is already working with https, so you can enter it and check it. Unfortunately now we have to change more things: your Google Analytics and your Google Search Console (the old Google Webmasters). Go for it.
- How to tell Google Analytics to your site now uses https? You go into your account, you go to the admin area, enter configuration property and once there, where it says "default URL" http https change. Guards, and that's it.
- How to tell Google Search Console now using https? You have to enlist a new property ... you can not do anything with the old.
- Some other things that can help: Redo the Google Sitemap of your website (in the plugin "SEO by Yoast" if you use WordPress) and give high Google Webmasters again. Google also learns so quickly that now you use https.
- If your robot.txt contains instructions on where your sitemap, edit this information and indicates that Your sitemap is now in https.
Well, with this you should have about the web, all right, well sure.
As you see, make the change http to https is laborious, So do it calmly. If you have user registration or especially if you manage an e-commerce then not hesitate, and do it.
If you have any questions about any of the steps, please send me the question through the comments of this article.
A big hug.
Especialista en estrategia en Marketing Digital. Impartiendo conferencias, formación y consultoría desde hace más de 20 años.