Tomorrow I participate in a new edition of the National Assembly AEDEM, The Spanish Association of Music Publishers.
This organization aims to defend and promote the economic, social, cultural and professional interests of music publishers, and each year organizes a meeting of members in which are invited to participate as speakers specialists on issues related to the music, the aim of keeping up to date and publicize the news of the music industry associates.
This is the fourth year in which I participate, as a specialist in digital marketing and have prepared a talk with news that the Internet provides us for the music promotion this 2016. While preparing slides I thought it was worth writing this article on the influence the deployment of the semantic web by Google in the promotion of music on the Internet. So here goes the article. I hope it is of interest to you.
How the Semantic Web deployment affects the music industry
First things: first, what is the semantic web ?, second how it works? And third, how does it affect the musical results?
What is the Semantic Web?
The Semantic Web is what we call the internet that aims to enable machines to a high level of understanding of the content created on the Internet. That is, in plain words ... is the internet where machines understand human.
Es una confluencia de la Inteligencia Artificial y las tecnologías web que se centra en introducir descripciones explícitas sobre el significado de los recursos, para permitir que las máquinas entiendan el significado de las cosas y puedan ofrecer respuestas concretas a preguntas realizadas de forma natural. Por ejemplo, si vamos a Google y preguntamos “¿qué edad tiene Messi?” responderá “28 años”. Ha entendido lo que le preguntamos y ha contestado con una respuesta clara, sencilla y precisa… en lugar de con una lista de sitios web que contienen las palabras “que”, “edad”, “tiene”, “Messi” que es como habría respondido hace unos meses.
To understand a little more this kind of results, please performs these searches and observes the results:
- "How old is Madonna?"
- "How much does Gerard Pique?"
- "Upcoming events in the theater joventut Hospitalet"
- "Billboard cinema Sabadell"
All websites that appear in these results using the semantic markup for machines to understand the content.
How the semantic web?
From 2012 Google and other search engines work to standardize databases so that when someone write "how old is Messi?" Google can understand that Messi = apellido_de_persona and age = campo_numérico_en_una_base_de_datos, so when we conducted this search, Google revises its index and finds that Messi is a surname of person and then search the websites that have semantic markup for a record of person whose name is Messi and the results shown in the "old" field.
This type of data on a website are called structured data.
What should I do to be semantic content provider for Google? For easy: use your web semantic markers.
- Here you will find more info on semantic markers: Schema.org
- Here you will find the list of semantic markers depending on the type of information: Schema items
- Here the list of semantic markers related to music: Schema Music
- Here you will find information on how to make the marking on your site: Google Search Console
- Here is the link to install WordPress plugin that semantic markers: All in one Schema for WP
- Here is a test to see if you have implemented good semantic markers: Test structured data
2016 SEO (Search Engine Optimization, or natural position) is mainly structured data and semantic web. Also it goes link building... But this we'll leave for another article.
How does it affect the music?
If you have clicked on the links above you you will have discovered the list of semantic entities that refer to music and events. If you use these markers on your web site, your data is structured in a way that can best be read and understood by Google and this has the following consequences:
- Your web site is best positioned: Google can use it as a general reference and place your page outside of the natural results, in the leading position you have seen if you've done the searches that have proposed you in the first paragraph of this article (in what google calls "Knowledge Graph results“)
- He rich snipped Your results have more visibility: the summary that appears on a Google results page contains more information and is more visible.
- The Google My Business tab that appears on the right of the search results page includes more information (such as album names, upcoming concerts, etc. [looks the tab Shakira to get an idea]).
So you know ... if you devote yourself to the world of music, you want to know more about Google and the Semantic Web. I hope this article will there been helpful if more not to look any further information. If I find a time during this week, I will publish the slides presented at the meeting of the AEDEM and also discover other news.
We talk to each other.
Here's the presentation that I used during my presentation at Assembly AEDEM. I hope you find them useful.
Especialista en estrategia en Marketing Digital. Impartiendo conferencias, formación y consultoría desde hace más de 20 años.