Last Monday I had the pleasure of being able to deliver one of the most difficult classes that I face from time to time: this is the kind of "Creating websites using WordPress"As a tool for publishing and content management. installation is not difficult ... it is very difficult to explain how people who have not ever done, using different tools and hosting services which have different control panels (and some unintuitive).
This time the class was oriented to cultural industries and was aimed at the more than 50 attendees consiguiesen put online your own website and would understand the operation of WordPress as content manager.
The success was not total, but many succeeded. Some of the incidents encountered were the following (I am writing to serve as support for upcoming classes):
- The hosting was hired too late and the beginning of class, the domain and hosting were not yet activated. How to fix: hiring before hosting.
- The hosting contract does not support creation of databases: you need to ask before making a purchase. The hosting where you do purchase must allow the phone call and ask. If not, it's a web host that does not interest us why will be very hard to give us a good day technical support that we need.
- The student does not have the necessary data for the class. These data are the login and password of hosting control panel (to create an FTP account) and to create the database.
- The hosting contract does not support WordPress: we find a case in which the contract was hosting on Windows servers that did not support the use of WordPress. My recommendation is that servers with Linux operating contract. But anyway, again, it is best to ask before hiring hosting.
- In the already available hosting a website. In this case, no problem: a directory is created within the website and the new page there is installed for testing. When we are sure we want to use WordPress and we know how to customize it, you can uninstall it and install it again so in the root directory.
They think they were all incidents.
Luckily I could count on the collaboration of 2 assistants: Alfonso Gonzalez (author WordPress manual you'll find under these lines) and my son Jaume (that has helped me several times in the WordPress installation on computers of students). Both I give them the thanks publicly. Without your help, everything would have been much more complicated.
Attached below the WordPress manual Alfonso Gonzalez and PowerPoint presentation I used to go to guide the class to the installation.
Here is the manual:
Here is the Power Point:
I hope you find it useful in case you want to perform your own installation.
Specialist Digital Marketing Strategy and Digitization Process. I help businesses and territories to develop thanks to the use of Internet in their business strategies.
Impart conferences, training and consulting for over 20 years. Program Director of the Degree of Entrepreneurship Digital (Digital Business) La Salle - URL.
My digital DNA comes from Intercom (creators of Infojobs, Softonic, eMagister, Solostocks, among other companies). I created my first website in 1994 and started my first online business in 1998.
I am at your disposal for whatever you need. Let's talk.