Whether we call Social Media Marketing (SMM) or call Generatet Consumer Content (CGC), it is clearly not a new trend but is here to stay. So you better learn well how it works and how we can use enterprise level.
Some data on this subject:
A study published by Gartner indicates that in 2010 60% of companies that are among the Fortune 1000 SMM shares held. In this same study says that 50% of the shares held by these companies will be a failure.
Why this failure?
The reasons are several, but Gartner summarizes in 3 points:
- Just do it to be fashionableNot have a clear strategic objective.
- –Campaigns have continuity in time (And should have it). But participating in social networks, maintain a blog and in general all the shares of SMM require dedication, expertise both on the environment of our industry, and on very specific areas of our business ... so most people get tired soon and actions of SMM are abandoned.
- –It is difficult to measure results: Campaigns are measured in terms of ROI and the SMM no It can be done this way, Gartner suggests that should be measured as what data and relevant information have achieved through these campaigns
So we see that the strategic component of a performance in SMM is the key to successful actions. Nothing new in this regard. The classic: first plan, then act and end measure, every action of Marketing. (Material for reflection: Why, when it comes to digital marketing people forget?).
Without a clear integration of SMM actions within the strategy of a company, any action is useless. Therefore, the first thing we should ask is what are our goals, enterprise level, to wish to perform actions at the level of SMM.
Some of these goals include:
- Give information about our company, explained by the clients themselves (makes it more credible).
- If we are a hotel, it could be: Show that our hotels unique and unrepeatable experiences, which have their own personality living.
- Get relevant data for our company about customer needs and consumer trends.
- In general, interact more with customers.
- Being fashionable and have more excuses to get out press -> this is the main reason leading to most businesses realize their shares of SMM.
Una vez tenemos claros los objetivos, deberíamos ver con qué recursos contamos: si vamos a desarrollar una estrategia y a realizar nosotros mismos las acciones de SMM, entonces el factor clave es el tiempo (los conocimientos sobre nuestra industria se nos suponen). Si vamos a contratar a alguien para que trabaje desde nuestra empresa, el presupuesto y los conocimientos sobre nuestra industria, serán los factores clave. Y finalmente, si vamos a subcontratar el servicio, el presupuesto aún será más un factor clave, y también los conocimientos sobre la industria, aunque seguramente encontraremos empresas especializadas en nuestro sector.
Finally we should ask ourselves how we will measure the success of actions carried SMM term level. Gartner's suggestion seems correct: we will measure data and inrelevant training we have achieved through these campaigns.
interesting about literature:
- 12 tips for a successful SMM:
- Gartner analysis report: