Yesterday I had the pleasure of teaching the first session of the new edition of Digital Marketing Course for Cultural Industries organized by the SDE (Servei and Business Development, the Catalan Institute of Cultural Industries).
This course consists of two parts, one aimed at discovering how it should be the website of a company dedicated to some kind of cultural industry and the other more properly dedicated to Digital Marketing part. At the beginning of this second part we saw 2 of the main techniques to attract visitors (SEO and the tools of Web 2.0). The other techniques will be discussed during today's class.
In my class yesterday one of the points we saw was the Benchmarking and explained to the students that can not be Marketing regardless of the market and therefore it is essential that we know what our position on the companies with which we compete or regarding companies similar to ours.
How to make a benchmark?
This requires defining the variables we want to analyze, to know what our position is based on these variables, see what the position of the competition, then, is ideal capture it all in a positioning map.
The variables that I propose in my classes are as follows:
- How many pages indexed in Google have a website? (: (Without quotation marks and domain name who wish to analyze) in Google this information looking for "nombredominio.com site" is obtained).
- What PageRank has a website? (Obtained from the Google toolbar, any SEO plugin or from an online tool).
- How many pages are linking to the page you analyze? (I recommend obtaining these data from which Alexa.com offers).
- What position does that website ranking in Alexa.com?
Marketing Benchmark level:
- What is the target audience for that enterprise and which segments attacks through its online communication?
- What is your value proposition?
- What Digital Marketing actions have detected that performs this company? (This can see watching who linkea to page [online news, blogs, directories ...] and looking for his name on Google [see social networking profiles, quotes, articles, etc.]).
- What features we would highlight their website.
With this a good record for each of our competitors and also for our own company is obtained. And these data will help us know where we want to be, where we want to go and how we will do it.
The positioning map that I use is a graph showing bubble techniques 3 variables: the PageRank (the radius of the bubble), the position in the Alexa ranking (egand abscissa) and the size of the page (vertical axis).
The attached image is of one of these maps, the other image corresponds to a record of competence (in this case corresponds to a theater).
Yesterday I promised the students would write this post and would hang up Excel I had created from the websites of some of the companies attending the class, so that you have sample and was not needed to start it from scratch (the graph it is complicated to make, the axis scales are logarithmic, the axes are reversed so that the best position appears on the top right, and definitely not a chart by selecting data from a table is displayed by pressing a button ... of Hence recommend students to use mine as a basis for their work).
Anyway ... here goes the Excel worksheet for creating the graphic benchmarking.
Excel Chart "How to Make a Benchmark"For you to base.
(If you do not see the graphic good or bubbles are not 3D is because you are using an older version of Excel. Although I have saved the file in .xls format so that everyone can open, you are actually created using the .xlsx )
I hope you find it useful and now already know cow do a good benchmark.
If you attended the event and want the full-slide of the entire course of Digital Marketing for Cultural Industries, recalls that shortly the SDE will send an email with a link to their servers from which you can download.
Specialist Digital Marketing Strategy and Digitization Process. I help businesses and territories to develop thanks to the use of Internet in their business strategies.
Impart conferences, training and consulting for over 20 years. Program Director of the Degree of Entrepreneurship Digital (Digital Business) La Salle - URL.
My digital DNA comes from Intercom (creators of Infojobs, Softonic, eMagister, Solostocks, among other companies). I created my first website in 1994 and started my first online business in 1998.
I am at your disposal for whatever you need. Let's talk.